For the second week in a row, Aaron Vale (USA) and Prescott, owned by Thinkslikeahorse, claimed the top prize in the $100,000 Wheels Up Grand Prix on Saturday, March 18, 2023, during the eleventh week of the Winter Spectacular Show Series at World Equestrian Center – Ocala in Ocala, FL. The class had 38 horse-and-rider combinations representing 13 different nations to contest the first-round course designed by Bernardo Costa Cabral (POR). Nine competitors successfully produced a clear round to qualify for the jump-off. Vale and the 11-year-old Holsteiner gelding flew through the timers at 36.343 seconds to steal the lead and secure victory.
“It was a nice course,” explained Vale of the first round. “Bernardo’s [courses have] been quite difficult. He’s designing for the World Cup™ Finals coming up in about a month. Not only are the people that are going to Omaha practicing for it, but he is too. The bending lines were a bit tricky. You had to create the shape and the right direction to catch the fences just right. Overall, it was a great course and had a perfect number for the jump-off.”
Less than a second behind Vale was Daniel Coyle (IRL) aboard Ivory TCS, owned by Ariel Grange. Coyle and his mount stopped the clock at 36.949 seconds for second place. Lisa Goldman-Smolen (USA) and Sovereign, owned by Barbara Disko, received third-place honors with a time of 38.528.
$100,000 Wheels Up Grand Prix Results:
1. Prescott, Aaron Vale (USA), Thinkslikeahorse: 0 | 0 | 36.343
2. Ivory TCS, Daniel Coyle (IRL), Ariel Grange: 0 | 0 | 36.949
3. Sovereign, Lisa Goldman-Smolen (USA), Barbara Disko: 0 | 0 | 38.528
4. MTM Pablo, Dorothy Douglas (USA), Davenport Farms: 0 | 0 | 39.303
5. MTM Apple, Tracy Fenney (USA), MTM Farm: 0 | 4 | 36.853
6. Wellington Grey Goose, Rowan Willis (AUS), Rowan Willis: 0 | 4 | 38.280
7. Goliath, Addison Reed (USA), Reed Training & Sales LLC: 0 | 12 | 41.086
8. Phaeton VD Of Colors, Daniel Coyle (IRL), Daniel Coyle: 0 | 16 | 46.428
9. Chattanooga, Santiago Lambre (BRA), Santiago Lambre: 0 | 76.530
10. Calypso De Blondel, Erynn Ballard (CAN), Ilan Ferder: 4 | 72.941
Adeline Rohrbach and Bengtsson Are Victorious in the $15,000 Buckeye Nutrition Futures Prix
Adeline Rohrbach (USA) and Bengtsson, owned by Lisa Goldman-Smolen, were unbeatable in the $15,000 Buckeye Nutrition Futures Prix on Friday, March 17, 2023, in the WEC Grand Arena. Bernardo Costa Cabral (POR) set a challenging track for the 33 competitors in the class. Rohrbach and the 12-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding were one of 10 pairs to navigate a fault-free round and advance to the jump-off. Although Rohrbach and Bengtsson are a new partnership, the pair stopped the clock at a fast time of 34.779 seconds to take the win.
“I started riding him a few weeks ago,” commented Rohrbach. “He’s owned by my trainer Lisa [Goldman-Smolen]. She has had him since he was eight, and they have competed in the 1.30m and 1.40m successfully. She let me hop on him, and we got along pretty well. He’s a little pocket rocket – tiny, but fast.”
Adolpho Franco (BRA) and Hanea, owned by Capital Equine LLC, secured second place after stopping the timers at 35.007 seconds. Robert Mendoza (USA) and Holly McPherson’s United M rounded out the podium with a time of 35.865 seconds.
$15,000 Buckeye Nutrition Futures Prix Results:
1. Bengtsson, Adeline Rohrbach, Lisa Goldman-Smolen: 0 | 0 | 34.779
2. Hanea, Adolpho Franco, Capital Equine LLC: 0 | 0 | 35.007
3. United M, Robert Mendoza, Holly McPherson: 0 | 0 | 35.865
4. FF Lady Grantham, Jill Gaffney, Freestyling Farms LLC: 0 | 0 | 41.418
5. Ircos IV, Thomas Rebotton, Signe Ostby: 0 | 4 | 34.929
6. Cretchon Z, Priscila Simpson, Priscila Simpson: 0 | 4 | 35.190
7. HST Cartouche, Geronimo Marcello Viana Ciavagila, Arnoldo Walk Filho: 0 | 4 | 35.830
8. Geronimo SCF, Harold Chopping, Diane Halpin: 0 | 4 | 36.937
9. Jack Straw, Camille Maddrix, M&M Sporthorses: 0 | 4 | 37.387
10. Hickory HBC, Justine Dutton, The Superman Syndicate LLC: 0 | 4 | 39.691