September 28, 2016 - Washington, D.C.
The 58th annual Washington International Horse Show (WIHS) is pleased to extend invitations to media for accreditation for its annual competition taking place October 25-30, 2016, at Verizon Center in Washington, D.C.
To apply for media accreditation, please click the link below and complete the form.
The Washington International Horse Show, one of the most prestigious equestrian sporting events in North America, offers a show experience like no other – six days of top competition, more than 26,000 enthusiastic spectators, 500 of the best horses and riders in the world in the world, including Olympic veterans and rising young stars of equestrian sport, plus great dining, shopping, and entertainment, all in the heart of our nation’s capital city, Washington, D.C.
Where: Verizon Center, 601 F St NW, Washington, DC 20004
When: October 25-30, 2016
- WIHS Hunter Championships, Tuesday, October 25
- WIHS Jumper Championships; $10,000 International Jumper Speed, presented by The Tyree Family, Wednesday, October 26
- $35,000 International Jumper Welcome Stake; $35,000 Accumulator Top Score Costume, Thursday, October 27
- $50,000 GE International Jumper Speed Final; $25,000 International Jumper Puissance (high jump), presented by The Boeing Company, Friday, October 28
- WIHS Equitation Finals and $130,000 Longines FEI World Cup™ Jumping Washington for the President's Cup, presented by Events DC, Saturday, October 29
Special Events & Exhibitions
- Barn Night, presented by Dover Saddlery with the generous support of The Peterson Family Foundation and National Harbor, on Thursday, October 27, featuring the WIHS Shetland Pony Steeplechase Championship Series, presented by Charles Owen
- High-speed Army vs. Navy Celebrity Barrel Racing, presented by Washington Area Chevy Dealers, on Friday, October 28
- Guy McLean and his Australian-bred ‘Quietway Performance horses’; a horsemanship demonstration for children, families, horseman, and the general public alike on Friday, October 28
- Kids' Day, presented by Animal Planet and EQUUS Foundation, on Saturday, October 29, from 10 am to 2 pm
- Dally and Spanky; a variety Show with Dally the Jack Russell Terrier and Spanky, her best friend and rescue miniature horse on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday October 27-29
- WIHS Silent Auction and fabulous shopping in more than 50 specialty boutiques throughout the week
Complete competition schedule is available at http://www.wihs.org/schedule/
WIHS tickets are available online through Ticketmaster.com or by calling 1-800-745-3000. Tickets also may be purchased in person at the Verizon Center Box Office. For information about Verizon Center accessible seating and services, call 202-661-5061 or 202-661-5065 (TTY).
Directions & Parking
Take Metrorail or Metrobus to the "Gallery Place-Chinatown" stop for an easy trip to the show. The Metro station is located below Verizon Center. Directions to Verizon Center.
Verizon Center has its own parking garage located on 6th Street NW under the building. The charge is approx. $20 for event parking. The garage opens 1 ½ hours before show time and closes 1 hour after the conclusion of the event. Alternatively, there are several public parking garages near the building including Gallery Place’s parking garage on 6th Street NW and the parking garage next to Rosa Mexicano restaurant on F Street NW. There are at least 10,000 parking spaces located within blocks of the arena. Social Media
Follow WIHS on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Youtube for photos, video and news about the extraordinary horses and riders competing at the show, plus historical information, contests, and international equestrian news. Please use hashtags: #WIHS2016 and #horsesinthecity if you plan to write about WIHS on your outlet’s social media channels.
VIP ringside dining is available on two specially built platforms overlooking the arena and in the sky-box level Acela Club, both offering excellent food and wonderful views of action in the ring. Visit www.wihs.org/dining-packages/ for details.
Equestrian Media / Press Room
Mainstream and Local Media
Digital Media / Publications
Director of Digital Media and Publications
Washington International Horse Show
OFFICE: 3299 K Street NW, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20007
202-525-3679, Fax 202-525-3686
About WIHS, www.wihs.org
Established in 1958, the Washington International Horse Show is one of the most prestigious and entertaining equestrian events in North America. More than 26,000 spectators attend the six-day show, which includes Olympic-level competition along with community and charity events. More than 500 top horses and riders come to D.C. from all over the globe to jump for more than a half a million dollars in prize money. Highlights include the $130,000 Longines FEI World Cup™ Jumping Washington for the President's Cup (Saturday night), the Puissance high jump presented by The Boeing Company on Military Night (Friday) and Kids' Day (Saturday), a free, fun and educational community event. The Washington International Horse Show Association, Ltd. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization headquartered in Washington, D.C. WIHS is an official USEF Heritage Competition and is currently ranked #7 in the Top 25 Horse Shows by the North American Riders Group. WIHS is rated CSI4*-W by the Fédération Equestre Internationale, the world governing body for horse sports.